Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Birds

Well, I went to my EAP orientation, and now I am even more excited to go than I was before! I think that the month between the end of winter quarter and the day I leave for South Africa will be torture, because I won't have much to do besides think anticipate going. Well that's not true, I'll have lots to do, but it all has to do with leaving, so that doesn't help! Anyway, the orientation was really helpful. There were people who had just returned from going to South Africa that told us all about what to expect. Out of about six people in the South Africa group, I was the only one there going to Pietermaritzburg. My advisor said that there was another girl who was going to be there, but she's in Ghana right now, so I'll meet her when I get there. Most people are going to Durban, while only one guy is going to Cape Town. The returnee from Pietermaritzburg had only good things to say about it. She said that while she and her friends were always on their guard there, it's a safe town, and they never felt like they were in a lot of danger. She also said it will be very hot when I get there.

Yesterday I went on a field trip to Oso Flaco Lake for my class on terrestrial vertebrates. Most of it involved identifying birds. Hours and hours of identifying birds. The only other terrestrial vertebrates we saw were a raccoon and some cows. We also saw some silver argiopes and orbweaver spiders, and a Carabidae beetle, but we didn't have to identify those, and most people weren't interested in them. It was really pretty, but I'm disappointed that we didn't see any herps(amphibians or reptiles). Birds get a little boring for me. Fortunately the weather wasn't too hot, but there was some mist at times that made it hard to identify birds.

It's a bit cold and overcast here in Isla Vista, as you can see from this picture the balcony and front yard in front of my apartment:

It's still pretty though. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. Good to come across a fan of frogs. I'm working with the Amphibian Ark project, and would love to hear from you on that important work. You'll probably like the scoop I got on Karen Lips' research in Central America. http://frogmatters.wordpress.com/2007/11/17/three-big-questions-about-amphibian-mass-extinction-scare/

Anonymous said...

Hey, Eva! I am writing the day before you leave from LAX on your adventure. You are in for a great experience, I know! Don't forget the folks back home. We love you lots.

Mom