Saturday, February 2, 2008

Yay! I'm alive!

Hello everyone! Howzit? Sorry it took me so long to write on here! I've been figuring out the internet and everything. I'm in an internet cafe right now and I only have about 8 minutes left so I'll have to make this quick.

South Africa's great! It's really beautiful and everyone is really friendly. Sometimes I have to stop for a minute and think OMG I'M IN SOUTH AFRICA because it's a lot like the US, except that everyone has an accent. So far I've only seen the campus and the shopping stuff really close by. My dorm is nice, even though it's a bit of a walk to campus. I have my own sink. (What decadence!)

So far, the coolest thing has been seeing new common birds and insects. I'll have to take some pictures when I get a chance. I wish I could identify the birds. One of my friends here had a gecko come into her room, and I had told her that I'm into herpetology, so she called me over to see it. It was so cool! So far no interesting spiders. (Sorry Dad!)

My registration was yesterday, but I'm only registered for two classes (Animal Health and Community Ecology) so far because I need to get a couple other classes approved. I'm hoping to get into an Introductory Zulu class and a KwaZulu-Natal history class. It seems like a lot of the international students are also taking Zulu, so it's good that I won't be the only non-South African in the class.

I miss everyone so much. xoxoxoxo Eva

7 comments:

Lexi said...

Yay! An update! Sounds like things are off to a nice start. Things will settle down once you get over culture shock. ;)

And yes! Pictures are a must~

Devin said...

Hey, Eva.

Dad here. Keep your eyes peeled for those spiders. There must be some.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Eva! We miss you too! But we're glad you are on the adventure of a lifetime. How cool -- a gecko just came into someone's room! Next you'll be telling us an elephant wandered in - ha ha! How is the weather? How is the food? Any new friends?
Love, Mom

eva said...

The weather is in the mid-80's, but quite humid, so it feels hotter. Luckily it's been overcast a lot since I've been here.
The food so far has been a lot like American food. I did try a meat pie though. It was good, except I kept thinking of Sweeney Todd, so it was a bit hard to get down without feeling nauseous. :)
Lots of new friends! Both American and South African, and some from other parts of Africa also. I'll write more about that in another post.
Dad- There was a tiny spider in the bathroom, but it was too small to take a picture of. Today a big black wasp flew into our coombe (cab), and I thought of you.
Pictures will come soon, I promise!

Damian said...

A big black wasp flew into your coombe?? Sounds painful.

Hey, so can you describe where your dorm is in relation to the landscape? I want to try to find your place on google earth.

Let's see... it's just like the US, except it's on the opposite end of the Earth and everyone speaks with a British accent... could it be you've found Bizarro-America?? Does everyone have a goatee?

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I had my own sink too in my bedroom! Does having your own sink mean having your own room? Oh, people abroad are so much more civilized. :)

The wasp thing scares the crap out of me, and you're like a thousand bazillion miles away!

eva said...

Damian--Let's see...There is the main campus, and then there is a brick path that goes through a big grassy field, and then there is a steel fence, and then there is my dorm. There is a parking lot by the fence entrance, and a black road. The buildings are white, and I think the roofs are brown.

Well, the accents aren't exactly British. There are a lot of different accents, actually. Some sound similar to British, but then there are Afrikaner accents, Indian accents, Zulu accents, other black South African accents, and probably others too. So I don't know how that fits into your bizarro-America theory. Maybe it's normal here, and America is bizarro-South Africa.